Home' My Ballarat : My Ballarat April 2012 Contents Nine new Ballarat residents have proudly
taken on the role of the city's Multicultural
Native to nine different nations, the
Maryam Aghdaee - Iran
Catherine Toro - Chile
Jessica Chuang - Taiwan
Dimitri Dollard - Togo
Aldona Kmiec - Poland
Jeme Liang - China
Ghulam Moqaddam - Afghanistan
Meeta Narsi - South Africa
Igor Zovko - Croatia
Ballarat's new ambassadors will work at building
community awareness of multiculturalism
and promoting a culture of inclusion amongst
existing and new migrant communities.
Ambassadors play an important community
leadership role and are advocates for promoting
the benefits of cultural diversity through learning,
exchange and celebration. They represent a
diverse cross-section of the community.
All the ambassadors are passionate about
sharing their stories, experiences and
aspirations, and representing the entire Ballarat
Minister for Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship
Nicholas Kotsiras officially introduced the
Multicultural Ambassadors to the Ballarat
community in February, 2012.
Want to know more?
Visit www.ballarat.vic.gov.au and follow the
Community and Culture links
The crisp chill of autumn means that winter will
soon be here. Now is the time to make sure
your home is fire safe.
A faulty electrical switch or appliance, a stove
left untended, or washing left to dry too close to
a heater: all common household situations that
could easily lead to a fire.
How can you protect your home and
family from fire?
In the kitchen and laundry...
• Make sure stoves and grillers are clean
and free of built up fat
• Never leave food cooking untended on a
• Turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk
of knocking the pans off the stove
• Keep flammable materials including
curtains, tea towels and paper away from
all heat (stove, toaster)
• When cooking, wear clothing with
• Clean the lint filter in your clothes dryer
each time you use it.
In the lounge or family room...
• At the start of winter, have chimneys and
heater flues cleaned
• If drying washing indoors, make sure it is
far away from heaters
• Place a screen in front of open fires
• Make sure all portable heaters are far
away from curtains and flammable
In the bedrooms...
• Never leave electric blankets on when you
are not home
• Never sleep in a bed with an electric
blanket turned on
• Do not place heavy items on a bed with an
electric blanket on
• Never smoke in bed.
Around the home
• Make sure all smoke alarms are installed
and in good working order. Replace
• Do not overload power outlets with
double adaptors and power boards. If you
need additional outlets, call a registered
electrician for installation.
• Check that all power outlets are working
properly, and that all electrical wires are
fully insulated and not exposed. Consider
installing safety switches, which instantly
isolate power if a surge is detected.
• Check that all extension leads are working
well and that wiring is not exposed. Avoid
putting leads under furniture or carpets.
• Never leave candles untended. Place all
candles on a non-combustible surface,
well away from curtains and other
• Store matches, candles and lighters well
out of reach of small children
Remember, if you encounter any electrical
problems in or around your home, call a
registered electrician. Do not attempt to make
repairs or install electrical equipment yourself.
Like to know more?
Visit the CFA's website at www.cfa.vic.gov.au.
Make Your Home Fire Safe
The Country Fire Authority (CFA) responds to more than 1,000 house fires
each year in Victoria -- and many of these fire accidents can be avoided.
Make sure your street number is
clearly displayed on your home
or front fence. If a fire happens,
emergency services will need to
find your home quickly.
Links Archive My Ballarat December 2011 My Ballarat August 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page